Call for testing empathy

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Sun Aug 10 14:15:40 UTC 2008

Alexander Jones wrote:
> 2008/8/10 Luke L <lukehasnoname at gmail.com>:
>> Pidgin works terrificly, and is stable. Ekiga covers the rest. This would be
>> a pretty big switch in terms of volume of users, and Intrepid is only 2.5
>> months away. I believe this should be put on hold.
>
> Saying that Ekiga meets the VoVi needs of Pidgin users is pretty
> ridiculous. It's SIP for a start, nobody uses SIP, and for the few
> that do, TELEPATHY SUPPORTS SIP TOO!

According to the popularity contest[1], Ekiga is the 464th
most-frequently-used package in the whole of Ubuntu, while Pidgin is the
628th.  That's comparable to Evolution (448th) or or Wine (647th).
Although popcon data is only representative of people that have
installed the popcon package, it's reasonable to say that both Ekiga and
Pidgin are meeting the needs of a large group of users.

I'm not arguing that these packages must never be touched, just that we
need to think long and hard before ripping them out.  I'd be much more
swayed by the argument when Empathy starts to realise some of its
game-changing potential.

	- Andrew

[1] http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_vote.gz