Call for testing empathy

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:06:17 UTC 2008

> Alexander Jones wrote:
> > Voice and video, period.
> >

> amen.
>
> whats the point of another chat client with no added functionality.

Empathy is without a doubt a richer platform than Pidgin in our case.
Because it is not intent on working across platforms, it can assume the
presence of certain technologies like dbus and for GTK to exist in all
its glory instead of relying on plugis (with their limitations) to
achieve that.

Also, while I am not sure 2.24 will see this, Empathy will be a very,
very important part of GNOME in the future. The Empathy developers are
working on a system with which a program can carry out online
communication via Empathy. This means very, very easy connection and
message handling both for the developer (a bit like a VFS), and
especially for the user who then just has to select a contact.

It makes a lot of sense to get this fitting into Ubuntu ahead of time,
because the full rollout of that functionality deserves to be very quick
and very significant.

So... kudos to this thought, and good luck. I'll keep an eye on this :)

Thanks,
-Dylan