That need to close bugs?

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 13 05:03:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 07:06:29AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> That is fine if the bug is likely to be a one-off-non-repeatable
> offender, like say a corrupt file on a file system that has been
> erased
> and reformatted. But I don't think that this bug is in that class.
> Having a bug like this closed means there is little chance for casual
> visitors to stumble on the bug and link the report to the behaviour
> they're seeing.

The fact that the bug is Invalid does not mean that the bug does not
show up for a casual visitor to Launchpad.  I would imagine this casual
visitor would submit a new bug report and that process shows you Invalid
bugs.  I tested this by submitting a new bug report about the
linux-source-2.6.15 package with prism54 in the subject and quite a few
Invalid bug reports showed up in the "Is the bug you're reporting one of
these?" dialog.

> Most of my personal linux troubleshooting revolves around googling for
> output seen on syslog. With a closed bug like the one Alexandre showed
> us, do not show up as far as I know.

I don't think that Google would selectively index bug reports based on
their state.  You should be able to craft a Google search using
something like "site:launchpad.net inurl:bugs intitle:Bug" and a search
string to prove this.  While slightly contrived I used a specific bug
number, 112283, which is currently Invalid and it showed up in Google.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com