Grouping preferences/Administration items?

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue Oct 30 15:55:35 UTC 2007

Op zondag 28-10-2007 om 22:00 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Matthew Paul
Thomas:
> That probably wouldn't solve the problem. For example, almost everyone
> who uses a laptop is the only user of their computer, so the
> distinction between themself and "All Users" would be zero.

IME that's not really true inside family settings; laptops are often
used by multiple users there.

> A longer-term fix would be to use PolicyKit to make everything not
> require a password unless/until you're actually making an
> administrative change. Not only would this collapse the distinction
> between Preferences and Administration, it would also allow more
> merging of related items. (For example, gnome-about-me could be merged
> with Users & Groups.)

Such a solution would probably solve many issues.  It should also be
able to hide all "system" settings for users that have no rights to
change them.

--
Jan Claeys