Transmission for default torrent client in Gutsy!

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Wed May 30 12:27:33 UTC 2007

ons, 30 05 2007 kl. 11:57 +0100, skrev Alec Wright:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 09:19 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > ons, 30 05 2007 kl. 07:36 +0200, skrev Ernst Persson:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I saw that the great and userfriendly BitTorrent client Transmission
> > > finally found it's way into Gutsy.
>

> > > This is exactly what Ubuntu needs in the default desktop. Install
> > > Transmission 0.72 and see if you agree with me...
> >
> > Sadly lacks options to stop sharing when reaching preset level (such as
> > 1:1) and selective downloading of content (say I only want one file in
> > the torrent - Transmission requires me to download all of them).
> >
> > - David Nielsen
> Deluge has these features, and its written in pyGTK, but it's not stable
> yet.
> Its only available in edgy backports and gutsy, does anyone know why?
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=deluge-torrent

It's my experience having used deluge that it's both incredibly unstable
and it's ui is quite cracktastic (just one example is how it shows you
the offset in the file but not the progress on individual files).

It shows promise but at present Transmission is closer to being a
candidate for a normal user. I'd be horrified if Deluge in it's current
state was made the default, it needs serious usability reviews and
stability work.

- David