fsck on boot is major usability issue

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Dec 26 17:15:09 UTC 2007

Chris Martin wrote:
> I have been following this and I thought I would add my 2 cents worth
> (1)      At shutdown is good
> (2)      Timeout/interuptable – is good
> (3)      BUT.  The default action should be “No Action”
>
> At shutdown the user is prompted that a file system check is required
>
> When the timeout occurs (it should be short – say 30 seconds) the
> default should be to skip it until the next shutdown
>
> IE the user has to explicitly select that now is a good time to do the
> fsck.

I agree completely.  The system should just tell the user that running a
check periodically is a good idea, but let them decide if now is a good
time.  The default action should be to skip the check for now, and
prompt again at the next boot.  Other options should be to remind me
again in 5 boots/next week.

Also I like the idea of adding the option to the drive properties dialog
in gnome to adjust the check interval/disable it.  IOW, a simple gui
interface to the tune2fs options.