fsck on boot is major usability issue

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Mon Dec 31 12:32:34 UTC 2007

At 12:15 PM -0500 12/26/07, Phillip Susi wrote:
>Chris Martin wrote:
>>  I have been following this and I thought I would add my 2 cents worth
>>  (1)      At shutdown is good
>>  (2)      Timeout/interuptable ­ is good
>>  (3)      BUT.  The default action should be ³No Action²
>>
>>  At shutdown the user is prompted that a file system check is required
>>
>>  When the timeout occurs (it should be short ­ say 30 seconds) the
>>  default should be to skip it until the next shutdown
>>
>>  IE the user has to explicitly select that now is a good time to do the
>>  fsck.
>
>I agree completely.  The system should just tell the user that running a
>check periodically is a good idea, but let them decide if now is a good
>time.  The default action should be to skip the check for now, and
>prompt again at the next boot.  Other options should be to remind me
>again in 5 boots/next week.

From my point of view, I would also appreciate if
the system would tell me at shutdown that a fsck
will occur at the next boot giving the user at
least these possibilities (other people might
want more possibilities):

- perform it right away and automatically shutdown when complete

- tell it to not run the fsck immediately nor at
the next boot (with reminders later)

- for people with several disks: when a fsck is
needed for a disk, add the option to run the fsck
on all the disks, even if it is not needed yet;
this would minimize how often the user will be
prompted for a fsck, as all the disks would be
checked simultaneously.

Francesco