ML for ubuntu+1

Chris Warburton chriswarbo at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:26:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 12:10 +0200, bapoumba at gmail.com wrote:
> In addition, there are two sections, Gutsy Gibbon Idea Pool [2] and Dev
> Link Forum [3]. I think the devel-discuss mailing list could be promoted
> in these UF sub-forums, and more relationships established between ml
> and forums, so that everyone, and the +1 release, benefit.

I'm not a very forumy kind of person (I prefer anything that can to run
outside my web browser), but was just wondering if the idea pool forums
could integrate with https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IdeaPool more. For every
release I see people posting the same ideas in forums, in
release-specific wiki pages, etc. and I think that a lot of effort could
be saved by checking a few release-independent lists somewhere and
seeing that an idea has already been proposed rather than posting it
again, and for features which don't make a release (which is usually
most, due to the masses of proposed ideas) there is no need to post them
again and again for each development release.

I know the IdeaPool wiki page isn't in particularly good shape, but I've
been spending a bit of time over the last week giving it some kind of
structure and removing redundant entries (ones which are either posted
twice or already implemented), so I think it has the potential to become
more useful than it is now.

If the forums carry on as-is then I would really suggest a
release-independent idea pool so ideas don't need to be reposted, and a
good structure to make it easy to look after (getting rid of duplicates,
removing implemented features, etc.) and easy to browse to get useful
information out of it and to prevent duplicates from people who didn't
see the original.

A great system for this would probably be something along the lines of
Dell's Ideastorm, but integrating something like that with the existing
infrastructure would be difficult.

Thanks,
Chris