CUPS 1.3.0-RC2 available for Ubuntu Gutsy now -- Please test!!

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 22:08:11 UTC 2007

The originally uploaded packages are broken. They have a bug which
prevented CUPS from finding the PostScript PPDs, leading printer setup
tools to assign generic PostScript PPDs or PCL PPDs to PostScript printers.

I have uploaded new packages with this problem fixed now. The files are
at the same place and have the same names as the old ones. So everyone
who has downloaded them already, please download and install them again.

I have also reported this problem upstream:

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2464

Please install also hal-cups-utils and system-config-printer and test
them with the new CUPS.

system-config-printer is Red Hat's printer setup tool and candidate for
replacing gnome-cups-manager.

hal-cups-utils are scripts for HAL which set up print queues
automatically when the printer is plugged (Plug'n'Print,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/automatic-printer-conf)
and disable print queues of printers which are not connected or turned
off. hal-cups-utils works currently only with USB printers.

Test system-config-printer by calling it from the command line and doing
your printer administration with it (setting options, (un)sharing your
printers, adding and cloning print queues).

Test hal-cups-utils by unplugging your USB printer and plugging it
again. While it is unplugged, the queue is disabled and CUPS does not do
unneeded retries of the jobs. As soon as you plug it it gets enabled
again and all queued jobs get printed. To see automatic queue setup,
remove the queues for your USB printer, unplug the printer and plug it
again. After some seconds you have a new queue. In case of an HP
printer, the queues are set up using HPLIP and if your HP MF device has
a fax also a fax queue is created.

    Till