Xubuntu Meeting

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Fri May 9 12:03:52 BST 2008

Hi all,

Recently I helped guide a discussion in the Xubuntu community to resolve
some issues that were going on there. We thought it could be useful to
share these thoughts here, so here is a summary of the meeting, as
written by Jim Campbell:

----

Hello Everyone,

I'd first like to start off this e-mail by announcing the Xubuntu
community meeting was a *huge* success. We had roughly two dozen people
take part (including old, current, and new faces) and a number of other
individuals who sent in e-mails or left a quick IRC message to let us
know that they were unable to attend but would be following up with much
interest. After just under an hour of constructive discussion led by
Jono Bacon and several free form votes, I'm happy to present following
mission statement for Xubuntu:

    "To produce an easy to use distribution, based on Ubuntu, using Xfce
as the graphical desktop, with a focus on integration, usability and
performance, with a particular focus on low memory footprint. The
integration in Xubuntu is at a configuration level, a toolkit level, and
matching the underlying technology beneath the desktop in Ubuntu.
Xubuntu will be built and developed as part of the wider Ubuntu
community, based around the ideals and values of Ubuntu."

Although 100% consensus was not arrived at, all participating parties
did agree that it was an acceptable initial mission statement. It was
decided that Cody Somerville (cody-somerville) would utilize the above
mission statement to develop a strategy document which would describe
how Xubuntu would adhere to the agreed mission statement. After which,
another meeting would be called to discuss and find consensus on the new
document.

Jono then asked the crowd if they felt Xubuntu needed a leader and, if
so, would it be Cody Somerville. He continued by asking if everyone
would be happy if Cody lead the project based upon the earlier agreed
goals, and if everyone felt that Xubuntu would REALLY KICK ARSE with
Cody leading the project. Besides Jonathon Carter pointing out that
Xubuntu already kicked arse (seconded by Vincent), everyone agreed that
Xubuntu required a leader and that they would be happy with Cody
Somerville being that leader.

Finally, Jono asked Cody if he would lead the Xubuntu project. Cody agreed.

    19:40 <jono> in which case we have made three important steps
forward here:
    19:40 <jono> 1) picked a leader
    19:40 <jono> 2) agreed on a general mission statement of goals
    19:40 <jono> 3) agreed that cody-somerville will develop a strategy
based on that mission statement

The meeting was full of energy, motivation, and excitement.  You can
read the full log at
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/03/26/%23ubuntu-meeting.html between
hours 1900 and 2000 or at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Xubuntu_2008-03-26.

If you weren't able to make it out to this meeting, be sure to catch the
next one!  We will announce the meeting time once Cody has had a chance
to prepare the strategy document.  Until that time, please feel free to
join us in #xubuntu-devel.

Thanks,

Jim

----

As a follow up, I will be discussing some of this strategy with Cody at UDS.

Thanks!

    Jono

--
Jono Bacon