Intrepid open for development

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri May 2 22:51:14 BST 2008

Hello world,

Following a brief period while our GCC heroes got the toolchain into
shape, the Intrepid Ibex is now open for general development. Please
drive responsibly and remember that the ability of your development
branch to boot may go down as well as up.

Automatic syncs from Debian will begin just as soon as a final set of
compiler changes are in place. There will be a separate announcement
about some of the hardening changes present here, since certain
potential security flaws will now need to be fixed in packages before
they can be built.

The release schedule for Intrepid is available at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule. To summarise the next
few months, we expect to be able to produce the first milestone in
mid-June, to cease automatic syncs from Debian near the end of June, and
to enter feature freeze near the end of August.

We do not recommend that users upgrade to Intrepid at this time; it is
likely to be in very considerable flux until the initial round of merges
is complete. As ever, any developers wishing to take the plunge at this
early stage should ensure that they are comfortable with recovering from
anything up to complete system failure.

Good luck!