GNOME Printer setup tool

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 02:03:59 UTC 2017

On 09/18/2017 10:42 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Ok, I started the bug as https://launchpad.net/bugs/1718083
>
> Can you work on preparing the g-c-c patch to add the button? And can
> you add a screenshot to the bug? I don't have any printers so I can't
> easily do this work myself or tell what it looks like.

Unfortunately, I have never done changes on g-c-c. So the button
addition patch is probably much easier for one of you than for me. What
you have to test is not more than when clicking the button s-c-p pops
up. This does not require a printer, this should happen in any case.

Generally if you want to test printing stuff without needing a printer,
you can do one of the following:

1. Install the cups-pdf package. This generates a queue named PDF and
printing to it drops a PDF file into your ~/PDF/ directory. The queue
has a PPD file so print dialogs show options.

2. On a virtual machine on the real iron box where you test your desktop
work, run the "ippserver" utility. Depending on which command line
options you use you can emulate a whole lot of network printers which
support driverless printing.

One of these would also help to get non-empty printer lists in screenshots.

I agree with the wording "Additional Printer Settings".

> Then, we can send the notification emails and subscribe the Release Team.

OK.

    Till