GNOME Printer setup tool

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 01:11:44 UTC 2017

On 09/18/2017 11:26 AM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This we really cannot drop. It must be easily possible for a user to do:
>>
>> - Activate printer sharing in general (equivalent of "cupsctl
>> --share-printers")
>>
>> - Share/unshare individual printers (add menu entry to gear menu of printer
>> entry, or button in Printer Details dialog).
>>
>> If this is not possible, we would need to step back to
>> system-config-printer.
>
> You could drop GNOME from OnlyShowIn in system-config-printer.desktop
> but that would end up with 2 things named "Printers" in the default
> install, one for the g-c-c panel and one for s-c-p.

Should one perhaps rename the "Printers" coming from s-c-p into
"Advanced Printer Setup" or similar?

What determines which items appear in the GNOME Settings?

> Or you could leave OnlyShowIn like it is, but add a button to the
> g-c-c Printers panel to configure additional options. (This is similar
> to the workaround we recently added to the Language panel.)

I think this would be the better solution. Let us do it this way.

Do you mean the "Manage Installed Languages" button in the "Region &
Language" part of GNOME Settings?

> Either way, I think you would need a UIFe.
>
> Till, can you take care of this issue?

I would opt for the button in the g-c-c Printers Panel. Something like
"Advanced Printer Setup & Configuration".

    Till