GNOME Printer setup tool

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 01:30:02 UTC 2017

On 09/18/2017 06:41 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Till Kamppeter
> <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. On which packages should I report the UIFe bug?
>
> On the package where you are introducing the user interface change.
> Here that's either gnome-control-center or s-c-p.

My suggestion is to add the button to the printer part of g-c-c and to
not change s-c-p.

This way we continue to only have one entry "Printers" in g-c-c under
which you find everything for printing setup and configuration.

>> 2. Which *.desktop files in s-c-p should I change in which way?
>
> If you choose my 2nd option (patching g-c-c), you don't have to touch
> s-c-p. If you do the first, then it's
> /usr/share/applications/system-config-printer.desktop

So no changes needed here.

>> Where is documentation for a UIFe?
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess#UserInterfaceFreeze_Exceptions

Checked it and it requires to post on the ubuntu-doc@ and
subscribe to these lists? Perhaps in this case it would be better if you
do the UIFe report as you already did other UIFe reports.

Impact would be that the extra button needs to get translated and
perhaps also documented.

Justification is that with the switchover from s-c-p to g-c-c Printers
the functionality to activate printer sharing and to share individual
printers (and some other advanced features in printer configuration) got
lost and especially the printer sharing is needed.

  . Till