Weekly newsletter 8th September 2017

Will Cooke will.cooke at canonical.com
Fri Sep 8 14:40:27 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Here's this week's update:

= GNOME =

GNOME 3.25.91 is now in Artful in preparation for the move to 3.26 before
release.

We’re adding notification badge support to the Dock extension.  This branch
has been proposed to the upstream project and is awaiting review:
https://github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock/pull/590

We’ve packaged the KStatusNotifier extension to provide support for
indicators.  This will provide support for apps which use libappindicators
which was removed from GNOME 3.26.  You can read more about this here:
https://didrocks.fr/2017/08/23/ubuntu-gnome-shell-in-artful-day-7/

We have also been tidying up the work we did at the Fit and Finish hackfest
(
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/08/08/ubuntu-artful-desktop-fit-and-finish-sprint/)
and you can see more about that here:
https://didrocks.fr/2017/09/04/ubuntu-gnome-shell-in-artful-day-9/

We’ve updated the test plan for the Ubuntu Session to ensure we catch
regressions and bugs in the default session for new installs and upgrades.
You can read the test plan here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Process/Merges/TestPlans/ubuntu-session

People with non-hybrid NVIDIA graphics cards can not normally use the
Wayland session unless they are adventurous and enable KMS. If that is
done, however, X11 sessions then break. This week we have incorporated a
change into GDM (also proposed upstream) to hide the X11 sessions in this
scenario so that we make the system a bit more usable even for people who
like to tweak. More information on the bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm3/+bug/1697882

Ubiquity (the Ubuntu installer) now shows the correct theme in ‘install
only’ mode, as well as in the live session. Previously it was using GNOME’s
default theme “Adwaita”.

= Video, Audio, Bluetooth, Networking =

We’ve spent time on a deep dive into the performance issues of video
playback in Totem.
We have tracked down an issue and are working on a fix to reduce CPU usage
by approximately 50%.
Out-of-the-box installation of accelerated video drivers (on Intel) is
close to completion, pending a bit more checking and packaging updates.

Captive portal detection is now in the Ubuntu default install.

Mobile broadband provider info has been updated from Debian and is now in
sync with Debian Sid.  Thanks Bhavani.  You can see the changes here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mobile-broadband-provider-info/20170903-1

Cheers, Will