Proposal: (No?) email client for Ubuntu 17.10

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 22 19:45:06 UTC 2017

Hi Jorge,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 08:51:13PM -0400, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> Tossing apps out of contention because you don't like the platform isn't
> really fair to users. For better or worse more and more applications are
> built on electron and many of these upstream projects choose to do so
> because it's much easier to get contributors when you work on every
> operating system.

Electron is a nightmare to package because it ships a copy of Chromium
which cannot be easily unbundled, and it is very hard to get Chromium
build with our security standards (i.e. the compiler options and using the
system libraries).

Electron apps will be an even bigger nightmare if we want to ship them in
the default installation: they consume a lot of space, RAM, power, etc.

There is a great blog post about this:
https://josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/

--
Dmitry Shachnev