Proposal: (No?) email client for Ubuntu 17.10

Jorge O. Castro jorge at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 22 00:51:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos <
fitoschido at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hate Electron “apps”. What about Sylpheed?

Tossing apps out of contention because you don't like the platform isn't
really fair to users. For better or worse more and more applications are
built on electron and many of these upstream projects choose to do so
because it's much easier to get contributors when you work on every
operating system.

No one realistically can start a new "native GTK" application today and get
enough developer mass to make it succeed, but every day people discover new
electron apps that are meeting that need; they're cross-platform and
relatively easy to hack on. Selecting an application should involve more
than "I hate electron". I would look at other health metrics, such as
number of contributors to the project, quality of releases, CI/CD
development practices of the project, responsiveness to user requests and
bug reports, that sort of thing. Eyeballing the amount of work to be done I
would think that those metrics would be more important especially given the
work that the existing team needs to accomplish over the next year.

That being said, there are real performance/memory implications of electron
apps, and they should absolutely be discussed and debated but at the end of
the day I'd rather use a well maintained electron app than a poorly
maintained "native" one.