lightdm or gdm?

Bryan Quigley bryan.quigley at canonical.com
Fri Apr 21 20:56:14 UTC 2017

I did some testing in a VM with switching different flavors to/from
the default dm.  Mostly I found that my current VM setup isn't stable
(it's my own virt package I'm working on).

But I did also see:
Lubuntu -> gdm, Lock screen now falls to black screen
Gnome -> Lightdm, Wayland failed on the first run, worked on the second.

Now again, this could be my setup, my Unity tests simply didn't work.

One of my concerns for a gdm change is are we ready to reorg our VTs?
GDM appears to default to VT-1, and then the actual desktop session
usually goes to VT-2, but I also managed to get it to VT-4 (without
changing settings).  This appears to make it somewhat harder from a
debugging perspective and we would be doing that at the same time as
switching to wayland.
Lightdm - Both dm and desktop are on VT-7.

Looking at support requests the only one of note that I find is an
issue that came up with having both lightdm and gdm3 installed.  We
didn't debug to a root cause, just determined that we needed to purge
gdm3 (it was some NFS related, avahi, lightdm, dbus problem).  Will
look into it again as this would likely affect a lot more people
either way.

Lastly, I wanted to know if there are any security differences in how
the login/lock screens work?
Specifically:
Is their a process I can kill from a user session to break the lock?
If I'm able to crash the lock screen, is the user session destroyed or unlocked?
Which would be easier to add functionality to block new USB
drives/other devices from being connected when the screen is locked?

Thanks!
Bryan