lightdm or gdm?

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Thu Apr 20 21:35:56 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 12:57 AM Tim <darkxst at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 20/04/17 00:32, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > - gnome-shell uses gdm for its lockscreen so work is needed to make it
> > work with lightdm
> That is not entirely right, the GUI for gdm is actually a cut-down
> gnome-shell session, this applies to both lock screen and greeter. gdm
> does however handle all user authentication, which is a little different
> from how lightdm work afaict (Robert correct me on this If I am wrong).

Support for allowing lock screens to do authentication was added in LightDM
1.20 and Unity used this (i.e. the same as the GDM lock screen). Running a
cut-down gnome-shell session is no different from runing any greeter (Unity
Greeter was effectively a cut-down Unity session with a simple shell).

--Robert