lightdm or gdm?

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Fri Apr 21 21:47:43 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 8:56 AM Bryan Quigley <bryan.quigley at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Lastly, I wanted to know if there are any security differences in how
> the login/lock screens work?
> Specifically:
> Is their a process I can kill from a user session to break the lock?
> If I'm able to crash the lock screen, is the user session destroyed or
> unlocked?
> Which would be easier to add functionality to block new USB
> drives/other devices from being connected when the screen is locked?

I'm not 100% familiar with the source but as I understand it gnome-shell is
the lock screen, so killing the lock screen could only be done by killing
the whole shell. A bug in the lock screen code will cause the session to be
unlocked. This is the same behaviour as Unity since Yakkety (I think?).

--Robert