Staying on GTK/GNOME 3.8 next cycle/for the LTS?

Brian Curtis bcurtiswx at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 1 18:17:53 UTC 2013

Hi to all,

I personally think staying at GNOME 3.8 would not be a great decision.

In my opinion Ubuntu is starting to turn into a Redhat. I think it used to
be the leader in the latest and greatest in the community of free and open
source software, and ever since a majority of canonical has been tasked
with touch TODO's it seems more and more scared of continuing the path with
the latest and greatest. This seems true for the desktop team as well.

GNOME has already released a stable 3.10 and has already started on 3.12.
The work that seemed to go into going from 3.6 to 3.8 this cycle seemed to
happen early and was minimal compared to what's been going on with the
touch stuff.

I'm not going to claim to know what workload is entailed with going to 3.10
next cycle, but what drew me into Ubuntu in the first place was that it
wasn't afraid to have the latest and greatest software available to all
desktop users. I hope that we don't lose that great aspect of Ubuntu just
because the work entailed from touch tasks is taking over your time.

Thanks,
~Brian Curtis

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I know this cycle is not finished yet, but in case some of us start
> thinking about next cycle, I wanted to start a discussion on the GNOME
> version to use for the lts.
>
> I think we should stick with GNOME 3.8 another cycle, here are the reasons
> why:
>
> - we (Ubuntu Desktop) are currently mostly happy with what we have
>
> - the focus for the Ubuntu Desktop team is likely to continue to be Ubuntu
> Touch/phone next cycle
>
> - due to the previous factor, we are going to be limited in resources to
> do desktop work
>
> - it's a LTS cycle, we should focus on bugs fixing if possible
>
> - GTK 3.10 deprecates several options, it would be good to stay away from
> those controverses for the LTS
> (see https://launchpad.net/bugs/**1228886<https://launchpad.net/bugs/1228886>as an example of what is going to happen once we deprecate those options)
>
> - it seems like the next RedHat enterprise edition is going to be based on
> GNOME 3.8, if that's the case it would make sense for us to focus on
> bringing quality to the same version/share the maintainance work a bit
>

> What do other things? I guess the Ubuntu GNOME Remix is going to want
> newer version, we should try to accomodate that need if we can. One way
> would be to do the "fork" of gnome-control-center we have been talking
> about for a while. Blocking GTK to 3.8 is likely to make hard to update
> GNOME components anyway, if we decide to go this way...
>
> What do others think?
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastien Bacher

Ubuntu Member: http://launchpad.net/~bcurtiswx