Staying on GTK/GNOME 3.8 next cycle/for the LTS?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 1 17:45:17 UTC 2013

Hey everyone,

I know this cycle is not finished yet, but in case some of us start
thinking about next cycle, I wanted to start a discussion on the GNOME
version to use for the lts.

I think we should stick with GNOME 3.8 another cycle, here are the
reasons why:

- we (Ubuntu Desktop) are currently mostly happy with what we have

- the focus for the Ubuntu Desktop team is likely to continue to be
Ubuntu Touch/phone next cycle

- due to the previous factor, we are going to be limited in resources to
do desktop work

- it's a LTS cycle, we should focus on bugs fixing if possible

- GTK 3.10 deprecates several options, it would be good to stay away
from those controverses for the LTS
(see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1228886 as an example of what is going
to happen once we deprecate those options)

- it seems like the next RedHat enterprise edition is going to be based
on GNOME 3.8, if that's the case it would make sense for us to focus on
bringing quality to the same version/share the maintainance work a bit

What do other things? I guess the Ubuntu GNOME Remix is going to want
newer version, we should try to accomodate that need if we can. One way
would be to do the "fork" of gnome-control-center we have been talking
about for a while. Blocking GTK to 3.8 is likely to make hard to update
GNOME components anyway, if we decide to go this way...

What do others think?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher