Make Ubuntu usable when 'universe' is disabled

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 27 22:08:08 UTC 2013

hi,
On Fr, 2013-06-28 at 03:10 +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried this on a Ubuntu 13.04 box and noted the following issues.
>
> 1. unity-webapps-* is in universe, the "Install" dialog still pops up
> but nothing appears after clicking "Install".
> 2. Large portion of the Qt stack, including "ubuntu-sdk" is in
> 'universe', strange.
nothing strange here (i thoght i adam and i explained that to you
successfully on IRC ... seems not ..)

packages always enter the archive through universe and only later get
MIR processing, both will be in main by release.

> 3. "libnspr4-0d" is needed by Adobe Flash plugin, but it is in
> 'universe', maybe 'main' is better.
main refers to packages that get constant support libnspr4-0d simply
doesnt get this.

> 4. "ubuntu-restricted-extras" is in 'multiverse' but many of its
> dependencies are in 'universe', I think the dependencies are better
> placed in 'multiverse' given their non-free nature.
nothing is non free in the dependencies you pointed out in our IRC
discussion (as adam and I explained to you on IRC as well ...).
each of them can be installed standalone (and will be pffered for
install by totem once a matching mime type is found), all of them have
free licenses and are opensource, they do not qualify for multiverse (i
also fail to see how that helps to "make ubuntu usable when universe is
disabled")

ciao
	oli