Default Browser Follow-up

Jason Warner jason.warner at canonical.com
Tue Jun 11 22:16:01 UTC 2013

Hi All -

Just about a month ago we had our second ever vUDS and one of the topics
was a possible switch to Chromium as the default browser[1].

As promised, here is the follow-up email to the mailing list.

In the past few weeks I've seen quite a few articles and comments on the
possible switch, and in light of those I'd like to focus this discussion a
few ways.

1. This is NOT about which browser is better.
2. This is NOT about which browser has more features or X, Y or Z feature.
3. Openness and freedom are still part of our core values. However I'd
rather not turn this thread into a "who is more open/free" debate.

What is important, and ultimately should be the deciding factor, is the
common end user experience. Which browser, in the common case, will be the
best for the general end user? Things I consider relevant to this
discussion are quality/stability/robustness, familiarity, ease of use, and
overall user experience.

The secondary case to consider is web developers. I firmly believe that web
developers would use both browsers on a regular basis, though do they
generally prefer one browser to another? I don't consider this case to be a
deciding factor, but rather could push one over the top if there isn't a
clear front runner.

I stated in the original vUDS session that I was leaning towards a switch
to Chromium. Several weeks later and I'm still leaning towards Chromium.
I'm looking for feedback either way based on the outline above.

I'd like to reiterate one point: Neither browser is going away. If Chromium
is the default, Firefox will continue to be available to those choosing
Firefox. Vise versa for Chromium.

Thanks everyone,
Jason

[1] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XeM75ukJwYg