Default Browser Follow-up

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 12 09:51:19 UTC 2013

hi,
On Di, 2013-06-11 at 15:16 -0700, Jason Warner wrote:

> What is important, and ultimately should be the deciding factor, is
> the common end user experience. Which browser, in the common case,
> will be the best for the general end user? Things I consider relevant
> to this discussion are quality/stability/robustness, familiarity, ease
> of use, and overall user experience.

as a fulltime ARM user for me firefox is completely unusable due to the
fact that gecko can not make any use of GLES for rendering (the only
GLES support firefox has is for WEBGL)

chromiums backend can be built with full GLES support in the rendering
engine and even has various commandline switches to fine tune this.

in sites with heavy CSS use (G+ for example) scrolling in firefox is
close to a slideshow while chromium with enabled GLES support is 1:1
responsive to scroll events.

in the light of our convergence plans which surely include a lot of ARM
based devices i would push for chromium despite the fact that it feels a
lot less integrated with the UI and desktop (file open dialogs, theming
etc) than firefox does.

ciao
	oli