Call for testing - unity-control-center (fork of gnome-control-center so we can stay on an old version)

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Wed Dec 11 04:42:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Ubuntu makes use of a heavily patched gnome-control-center (61 patches) and
we will in future move to the new Ubuntu System Settings [1] once we
achieve convergence. We are already running an old version of
gnome-control-center (3.6) and the value for Ubuntu in upgrading this is
low since it would take a lot of work to update our changes. Running an old
version until convergence blocks those who do use GNOME (i.e. Ubuntu GNOME).

For these reasons it has been discussed that we should fork
gnome-control-center 3.6 for Unity into unity-control-center [2].

To be very clear, this is a fork with a limited lifespan. We don't expect
to make significant changes to it outside of stability and security fixes.

This change affects a number of packages, and I have attempted to find and
fix all the side-effects (See bug 1257505 [3]). The proposed changes are in
a PPA [4].

Please test this PPA and post any problems in the bug report. I'd like to
land this change into the archive if there are no reasons to block it.

I also have a fork of gnome-settings-daemon for the same reasons which I am
running successfully, I will do a similar call for testing when we have
landed the control center changes.

Thanks,
--Robert

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings