Call for testing - unity-control-center (fork of gnome-control-center so we can stay on an old version)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 11 08:12:50 UTC 2013

Hey Robert,

Robert Ancell [2013-12-11 17:42 +1300]:
> Ubuntu makes use of a heavily patched gnome-control-center (61 patches) and
> we will in future move to the new Ubuntu System Settings [1] once we
> achieve convergence. We are already running an old version of
> gnome-control-center (3.6) and the value for Ubuntu in upgrading this is
> low since it would take a lot of work to update our changes. Running an old
> version until convergence blocks those who do use GNOME (i.e. Ubuntu GNOME).

Nice! So it happens at last.

> Please test this PPA and post any problems in the bug report. I'd like to
> land this change into the archive if there are no reasons to block it.

The upgrade went fine, and it replaced most of the
gnome-control-center* packages with the unity-* counterparts, except
for gnome-control-center-data:

$ dpkg -l *control-center*|grep ^ii
ii  activity-log-manager-control-center                   0.9.7-0ubuntu4+unity                               all          blacklist configuration for Zeitgeist (transitional package)
ii  gnome-control-center-data                             1:3.8.6-0ubuntu1+unity                             all          configuration applets for GNOME - data files
ii  libgnome-control-center1                              1:3.6.3-0ubuntu49                                  amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
ii  libunity-control-center1                              1.0                                                amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
ii  unity-control-center                                  1.0                                                amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
ii  unity-control-center-data                             1.0                                                all          configuration applets for GNOME - data files
ii  unity-control-center-signon                           0.1.7~+14.04.20131126.2-0ubuntu1+unity             amd64        Unity Control Center extension for single signon

It seems to me that if we want to add a "real" gnome-control-center,
-data should be migrated as well? Or does u-c-c not need this at all?
(Then it should be cleaned up on upgrade, or get owned by the "real"
g-c-c)

After upgrading, the menu entry from the session indicator doesn't
work. This needs a "pkill -f indicator-session-service" or a reboot;
could the pkill perhaps be put into the postinst?

The new control-center window is too wide, but this is probably
related to the transition to GTK 3.10, not due to u-c-c itself.

Many entries are now untranslated, I guess this also changed the
translation domain? Can we copy the translations from g-c-c, so that
they get imported into LP?

Thanks,

Martin