Why ubuntu-desktop depends on xdiagnose and xterm

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 3 16:47:26 UTC 2013

hi,
On Mi, 2013-04-03 at 09:25 -0700, Dylan McCall wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > > xterm is used by many people doing development on ubuntu as a preferred
> > > terminal over gnome-terminal, so i dont think we can or should hide it
> > > if we don't want to put off people using ubuntu as a platform for their
> > > development tasks.
> >
> > Well, I know there are people have good reasons to prefer xterm over
> > gnome-terminal.
> > However, there are also plenty of people don't bother to know what is
> > terminal in the their entire life.
> > Though there doesn't seem to have a good solution to satisfy both groups.
>
> Sure there is. The TINY minority of people who know or care about
> xterm, and have a reason to prefer it over gnome-terminal (?!),

you are aware that this tiny minority is the remaining bit of
contributing developers left from the once massive dev community we used
to have ?

we have driven many devs away and on the other side attracted a lot of
new users which makes handling the bug load harder with every release. i
totally agree that having the system settings and even each individual
setting app in the dash is nonsense, but we are on the way to make
ubuntu an unpleasant place for developers that want to develop
ubuntu ...

file a bug about Xorg hard depending on xterm and lets make it optional
to install it but don't kill of developer tools for the tiny minority of
devs we have left...

ciao
	oli