Why ubuntu-desktop depends on xdiagnose and xterm

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 19:10:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> you are aware that this tiny minority is the remaining bit of
> contributing developers left from the once massive dev community we used
> to have ?

I have no idea whether number of contributing developers used to be
larger or not.

> we have driven many devs away and on the other side attracted a lot of
> new users which makes handling the bug load harder with every release. i
> totally agree that having the system settings and even each individual
> setting app in the dash is nonsense, but we are on the way to make
> ubuntu an unpleasant place for developers that want to develop
> ubuntu ...

But the argument is rather weird.
"Some people prefer xterm" is definitely not equal to "The same group
of people will leave Ubuntu community if xterm is hidden by default."
"Cater developers" is definitely not equal to "Keep xterm shown" I'd
claim that some developers have stronger opinion about Amazon search
stuff, etc.
( https://bugs.launchpad.net/webapps-applications/+bug/1079932 )

Anyway, Ubuntu is Linux for human being, rather than Linux for X11 wizard.
For the settings app shown in Dash issue, it should be a very old and
known bug, I feel that I must missed something.
Isn't Unity supposed to be a corporate effort and the end result
should be polished?
( I guess LinuxDeepin's UI can be an example of polished UI. )

> file a bug about Xorg hard depending on xterm and lets make it optional
> to install it but don't kill of developer tools for the tiny minority of
> devs we have left...

Have seen quite a log bug unanswered for long, reporting a bug isn't
my first choice any more.