Why ubuntu-desktop depends on xdiagnose and xterm

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 16:25:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > xterm is used by many people doing development on ubuntu as a preferred
> > terminal over gnome-terminal, so i dont think we can or should hide it
> > if we don't want to put off people using ubuntu as a platform for their
> > development tasks.
>
> Well, I know there are people have good reasons to prefer xterm over
> gnome-terminal.
> However, there are also plenty of people don't bother to know what is
> terminal in the their entire life.
> Though there doesn't seem to have a good solution to satisfy both groups.

Sure there is. The TINY minority of people who know or care about
xterm, and have a reason to prefer it over gnome-terminal (?!), can
open it with Alt+F2 or, if they really are concerned about this, add
their own launcher. (Heck, maybe an additional package could provide a
desktop file with NoDisplay=False for the even tinier group of people
who prefer xterm, use the dash to launch stuff, and don't want to use
the menu editor?). Ubuntu right now has a ridiculous number of
"Applications" installed by default, which makes the dash completely
hostile for someone who wants to explore the functionality provided by
Ubuntu. Right now, well over half of these "Applications" are cryptic
settings panels and recovery tools that provide nothing of value to
end users.

Dylan