Handling upgrades of Ubuntu GNOME Remix

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 4 03:23:05 UTC 2012

Hi, I was wondering what I need to have installed in Ubuntu GNOME
Remix 12.10 to ensure that users will be able to easily upgrade to
13.04 when that time comes.

I see Edubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu all depend on
update-manager; Lubuntu only depends on ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk.

I'd rather not depend on update-manager if it could be avoided as
gnome-packagekit includes its own update manager (I guess it's what
Ubuntu's update-manager forked from or maybe it's a clone), but it's
better to have two update managers than one that won't work.

Thanks,
Jeremy