Better Maintenance of IBus, i.e., the Input Framework

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 00:28:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Le 16/10/2012 00:21, Ma Xiaojun a écrit :
>> 1. Switching keyboard shortcuts are becoming more limited.
> Well, that seems like a design choice of the UI in GNOME rather than an ibus
> limitation though, right? E.g nothing stop us to use ibus 1.5 and design our
> indicator/UI differently than what GNOME did?
You can handle hotkeys yourself, as GNOME 3.6
But I'd like to make it upstream if possible.
Hotkey issue let some users stay with SCIM even on 12.04

>> 3. Input methods has to be global.
> Hum, is that "has" a GNOME choice or is ibus enforcing that in 1.5 as well?
> Do you know why ibus went that direction?
IBus enforcing.
One IBus developer said on his blog that "Both IBus and GNOME upstream
prefer the global status:"
Maybe a front end can manage per window state instead of IBus.