ubuntu lacks ideas, firefox is full of ideas

Manish Sinha manishsinha at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 18 21:25:36 UTC 2011

> The Unity API is minimal. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/LauncherAPI I
can't position, I can't edit, I can't remove and I can't add anything.

You are comparing a very mature and years old product Firefox with a very
recent app called Unity.

I am not a Unity dev but I would personally prefer that they put more
efforts in making Unity more stable and smooth than adding customization
options and making the path towards breaking unity more easier.

> You said you don't want customizeability (I mean, you make unity have
unmodifiable defaults) and you said you want more apps (I mean, you put a
huge effort in the Ubuntu Software Store), but these two things are a
contradication, because *if we can't do anything,

It isn't contradiction. Think about it, write an app which makes a
beautiful UI for editing preferences already exposed by Unity. Put it in
software center.

Plus non customization doesn't mean it is contradiction to app development.
If you are writing a word processor app or a media player app how does it
matter that for that app to run Unity needs to be more customizable?

> why should we develop apps for you*?

What do you mean by we? It can be reworded as "why should *I* write apps
for you". Plus I don't know where we are going with this *you* and *us*
mentality.

> Plus, Firefox writes tutorials that start from overview, allow to go
in-depth, have examples and I think Ubuntu should do that too

developer.ubuntu.com is aimed towards that

-
Manish