Call for Natty Feedback!

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 2 06:39:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 13:51 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 04:18:22PM -0500, Sean McNamara wrote:
> > 5. Stability has been poor in my experience; I run into X crashes from
> > time to time doing fairly mundane stuff that doesn't trigger a crash
> > with Gnome2.
>
> Can you provide a bug # (with a full backtrace if possible)?  I'm
> putting a priority on following up on xserver segfaults.
>
> (Actually there are no public X crash bugs open against natty at the
> moment, so I wonder that what you're seeing is not actually an xserver
> segfault.  Regardless, it should be investigated.)
>
> > 6. Multi-monitor seems totally broken somehow... on a 1024x768 laptop
> > with a 1680x1050 VGA LCD attached, I get no menus and no indication
> > that Unity is aware of windows on the large external LCD. And the
> > left-side menu doesn't come up at all anymore. It seems like there is
> > an empty space above the top of my laptop's screen where my mouse can
> > go, but there is nothing up there -- I configured (using the
> > xrandr-based Monitors applet) the big monitor to be to the right of
> > the laptop LCD.
>
> The first half of that could be unity's handling of multi-head, which I
> agree seems like it needs more QA.
>
> The second half, regarding blank spaces where the mouse gets lost, is a
> long standing known X.org issue (bug #389519).  (There's been a patch
> proposed but it's not upstream yet.)

There's a patch series for this and pointer barriers (which Unity might
want to use, too, for the BDB + multihead) on the xorg-devel mailing
list.  The crtc-clamping works and if we really wanted it the patch is
relatively safe and could be FFe'd.  The pointer-barriers need protocol
changes, and I'd be hesitant to include them before the protocol has
been finalised.