[Oneiric-Topic] GTK3/GNOME3

Vishnoo vish at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 11:30:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:32 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 avril 2011 à 09:59 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
> > kind of obvious topic, but next cycle we'll need to move to GTK3 and
> > GNOME3. Aside from the obvious "update the package versions", I see
> > the following particular challenges:
>
> Hello,
>
> (You stole my topic! ;-)
>
> Joke aside we should do the GNOME3 and GTK3 transition next cycle to be
> ready for the lts and it's likely to be quite some work.

Is Getting GNOME3 really worth it? GTK3 maybe for the parts which are
required for Unity..

Several caplets have been removed, not just hiding options. (I'm sure
you guys remember the GDM theming removal "issue" :p )
In GNOME3 even fonts cannot be changed easily. If we removing easy ways
to change a details, Launchpad would be a *very* noisy for us.
I dont think we might even get it in time for our LTS schedule..
(couldnt find any info regarding that.)

If we compare the previous 10.04 LTS and what could be 12.04 LTS with
GNOME3(3.0?/3.2?), there could be a lot of feature parity.
Maybe it is better we wait for Gnome3 to mature a bit more before we
jump into it..

--
Cheers,
Vish