[Oneiric-Topic] GTK3/GNOME3

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 7 08:32:45 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 07 avril 2011 à 09:59 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
> kind of obvious topic, but next cycle we'll need to move to GTK3 and
> GNOME3. Aside from the obvious "update the package versions", I see
> the following particular challenges:

Hello,

(You stole my topic! ;-)

Joke aside we should do the GNOME3 and GTK3 transition next cycle to be
ready for the lts and it's likely to be quite some work. I agree on
dropping the old patches we have when not required but we also need to
think about what some of those mean for your user experience, we have
quite some which have been added in reply to real needs we found that
upstream didn't always address so we should at least have a least of
things that will not apply and discuss whether it's find to drop them or
we need to rewrite those.
Random examples of things in this case: the keyboard layout indicator
(or the other indicators which are patches over GNOME2 notification area
icons), setting a default system layout from the keyboard capplet, etc

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher