[Oneiric-Topic] GTK3/GNOME3

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo.moya at canonical.com
Thu Apr 7 11:46:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 17:00 +0530, Vishnoo wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:32 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > Le jeudi 07 avril 2011 à 09:59 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
> > > kind of obvious topic, but next cycle we'll need to move to GTK3 and
> > > GNOME3. Aside from the obvious "update the package versions", I see
> > > the following particular challenges:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > (You stole my topic! ;-)
> >
> > Joke aside we should do the GNOME3 and GTK3 transition next cycle to be
> > ready for the lts and it's likely to be quite some work.
>
> Is Getting GNOME3 really worth it? GTK3 maybe for the parts which are
> required for Unity..
>
> Several caplets have been removed, not just hiding options. (I'm sure
> you guys remember the GDM theming removal "issue" :p )
> In GNOME3 even fonts cannot be changed easily.

they are not removed, they are moved to another place, which is
gnome-tweak-tool, available in the GNOME3 PPA

>  If we removing easy ways
> to change a details, Launchpad would be a *very* noisy for us.
> I dont think we might even get it in time for our LTS schedule..
> (couldnt find any info regarding that.)
>
> If we compare the previous 10.04 LTS and what could be 12.04 LTS with
> GNOME3(3.0?/3.2?), there could be a lot of feature parity.
> Maybe it is better we wait for Gnome3 to mature a bit more before we
> jump into it..

I know you won't believe what I say, coming from a devote GNOME
developer/user, but GNOME 3.0 is the best GNOME release ever :-) It's
not like 2.0, which was released too early, when lots of apps hadn't
been ported. Of course, there are issues, but nothing big as far as I
can see from my daily usage of it in the last months.

And the plans for 3.2 (which are starting to be discussed, in
desktop-devel-list, just in case someone wants to influence) are looking
really good (things like integration of online services, for instance)