Ubuntu Desktop weekly meetings

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Nov 18 00:58:23 GMT 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:11:09AM +1100, Robert Ancell wrote:
> In my opinion the current activity reports are more about proving
> you've done a weeks worth of work, than providing a good summary of
> what's happened in a week.

> * x new bugs were opened, y were closed
>
> Note that some of this information can be automatically pulled from
> Launchpad etc.

Agreed, and some could benefit from graphing, graph-monger that I am...

> We discussed how to produce the manual information.  The options seem
> to be:
> - - The Wiki
> - - Etherpad
> - - status.net
>
> If people are interested in producing the high-detail reports we need
> to consider where/how to produce those, and then boil them down to a
> good summary.

How about something as simple as a blog / planetplanet ?

I find many people's status reports too dense / technobabbly to follow,
but I always find their blog postings worth reading, perhaps because
they're addressing it to a broad audience rather than just itemizing
evidence of tasks done.  It would encourage/permit images and
hyperlinks, which we tend to not do so much with the current report.

A nice thing about using blogs and a Desktop-team planetplanet is that
it would easily give broader visibility into the desktop team's work
than we have been achieving currently with the status-report wiki
approach.  (Admittedly, extra visibility can have its drawbacks...)

Bryce