Desktop team weekly report -- 2009-09-22

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 3 21:55:13 BST 2009

On 10/03/2009 11:39 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> You know, in these cases the current +filebug is destroying information
> we need.  If the bug reporter already knows at time of filing that it is
> a 'translation', 'wishlist', 'usability', 'packaging', etc. issue, then
> this is extremely valuable information as to how to handle the bug.
>
> There are specific teams with interest in each of these classes of bugs,
> who do not regularly troll through individual packages bug listings but
> who might be able to handle these issues directly if they were tagged as
> such.
>
> Currently, this info is not captured at time of bug filing, so someone
> else has to think and tag it later.  This adds unnecessary delay and
> increases the workload on the triager.

This sounds like great feedback, Bryce. What do you feel is the best
solution?
> One other side benefit:  When doing automated bug triaging, it is
> extremely hard to mechanically differentiate between ordinary bugs and
> wishlist/packaging/usability issues.  By tagging the bugs at filing
> time, it allows automated scripts to not request logs and other info
> inappropriately.

Sounds good.

It also seems we should allow people to file translations bugs and
community bugs via ubuntu-bug too. Maybe the symptom-based bug reporting
would be good for this. What do you think, Brian?

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager