Urgency-display-bar in notify-osd

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:46:00 BST 2009

2009/5/7 Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com>:
> Mirco Müller wrote:
>
> 	According to the wish/request for urgency-display in the bubble I've
> patched notify-osd trunk (and put the result in a different non-trunk
> branch) to provide just that.
>

> Rather than having a separate PPA for this, can we add a --debug config
> option, or something similar, which displays the urgency? That way the
> platform team can turn this on in Karmic, where we can actually easily
> change apps. So everyone running Karmic will see these. When Karmic goes
> into beta, we could turn off the debug behaviour.
>
> Mark

Is this a proposal to make it easier to see how important a notification is?
Like jabber users coming and going are normal notifications, while a failed
SMART test failed or a critical update would be flashing red notifications?

It would be very nice if we could get different levels and configuration options
for the notifications. If I'm watching a movie on my laptop, I'd
probably want to
be notified if the power cord had been unplugged, or if I had little
battery power
left, whereas messages from my nagging ex should not be displayed over
fullscreen applications.

Jo-Erlend