custom livecd

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Aug 15 02:51:39 BST 2009

Not sure this is the best place to post this, so if someone knows
better, tell me where to go.

I have followed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
and was able to remove openoffice, add my PPA, install some apps and
make a CD that works.  yay.

Now I want to do some more things:

1) add a shortcut to gnome-terminal to the launcher panel
2) add a shortcut to my app on the desktop.
3) apt-get dist-upgrade  - seems like a good idea, but on the
unaltered  ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso it adds 150mb to the .iso,
even after apt-get clean.
4) there are a bunch more apps I want to add, but there isn't room
even without the dist-upgrade and removing OpenOffice.  I am hoping
there are some things I can remove to free up a big chunk.  like I
don't need the installer, but guessing that isn't much of a chunk.
don't need docs, don't need printer drivers... wondering how I can see
what takes up what space.  I know this isn't that simple, just
wondering what my options are.

5) When an external disk is plugged in that has some sort of label, it
gets mounted under /media/label, not /media/disk. I would like a link
to the last disk plugged in, something like /media/lastdisk so that I
can always write to that pathname: /media/lastdisk/Videos/foo.dv

6) boot options to pick between master and slave:

default live
label live
 menu label DVswitch (alone or master) on Ubuntu - no change to your computer
 kernel /casper/vmlinuz
 append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper
initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash  --

label live-slave
 menu label DVswitch slave (no GUI)
 kernel /casper/vmlinuz
 append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper
initrd=/casper/initrd.gz text  --

and some zeroconf magic or something so that each box gets a unique IP
and hostname=master/slave.  extra credit for
master/slave1/slave2/slaveN... but I can live without multiple slave
boxes.

I have some scripts to expand iso, edit, compress back to iso:
http://github.com/CarlFK/DVswitchLiveCD/tree/master

and some notes, which are basically this email:
http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/livecd

--
Carl K

--