User Interface of the X Configuration Tool

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Sat Jun 9 20:14:27 BST 2007

> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 10:46 +0300, Mikko Ohtamaa wrote:
> > > In the UK, either screen or monitor tend to be used. People more
> > > commonly refer to it as 'the computer screen' I think, 'monitor' is seen
> > > as a little more technical (although not much). I've been using 'screen'
> > > when writing documentation anyway...
> >
> > I am not native English speaker, but isn't it so that a  screen can be
> > also a television. It's not necessary a computer monitor which is
> > plugged in.

It's probably important to remember that non-technical users (at least
in the UK) also use the word "screen" to refer to a dialogue box/druid
page because of experiences of computer systems that they've seen
operating, or used, where navigating through a set of computerised forms
means going through a "series of screens".

I think it is a bad idea to use the word "screen" due to the common use
of this very closely related, but very different, meaning.

--
Tristan

These opinions are my own and are not related to any opinions of my
employer.