making the panel launcher opening the preferred apps by default?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 2 22:54:25 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 14:34 -0800, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Matthew East">
>
> > Our recommendation is only the default position: once the user decides to
> > change their default app, I think we should help them to do so as easily
> > as possible. But yeah, happy to file this upstream if it is appropriate.
>
> And that's important for desktop and application integration, but I think
> you're stretching it's utility by suggesting it's appropriate for the icons
> on the panel. There is a certain amount of selection and policy involved in
> our choice of those icons, and that is more important than the false benefit
> of adaptability to configuration. *If* we decided that the purpose of those
> icons was to be an abstract launching interface to the applications that
> serve those objectives (like the items at the top left of the Windows XP
> start menu), then we'd do it - but all the other panel launchers work in a
> different way, and we don't have a way to communicate that difference in
> purpose at the moment.

I'm not sure there is a lot of difference in the purpose: I started off
thinking that there was a difference between having a "firefox" icon on
the panel and a "browser" icon on the panel, but I decided that
actually, the user won't make a distinction: once (s)he has decided to
change browser, the fact that the developers see the icon on the panel
as "firefox" rather than "browser" is not gonna justify the fact that
(s)he has to waste (admittedly not much) time removed and readding the
correct launcher.

mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF