making the panel launcher opening the preferred apps by default?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 2 22:34:57 GMT 2005

<quote who="Matthew East">

> Our recommendation is only the default position: once the user decides to
> change their default app, I think we should help them to do so as easily
> as possible. But yeah, happy to file this upstream if it is appropriate.

And that's important for desktop and application integration, but I think
you're stretching it's utility by suggesting it's appropriate for the icons
on the panel. There is a certain amount of selection and policy involved in
our choice of those icons, and that is more important than the false benefit
of adaptability to configuration. *If* we decided that the purpose of those
icons was to be an abstract launching interface to the applications that
serve those objectives (like the items at the top left of the Windows XP
start menu), then we'd do it - but all the other panel launchers work in a
different way, and we don't have a way to communicate that difference in
purpose at the moment.

(This is one reason why we've talked about a 'most often used apps' list in
the panel menus somewhere, perhaps in the applications menu, perhaps as an
icon list beside it... But we don't have that yet.)

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu USA & Europe Tour: Oct-Nov 2005            http://wiki.ubuntu.com/3BT

    "If I had an inch for every penis size spam I'd recieved..." - Luis
                                   Villa