Dialogue and moving forward

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 20 16:08:08 UTC 2015

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 09:36:08PM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
>> While I understand the KC's concern around the fridge post, it is
>> unreasonable to ask it to be removed just because the KC doesn't agree
>> with it. The Fridge post was a professionally written, unemotional,
>> summary of the situation. The CC should not be in the business of
>> deleting statements people don't like.
>
> It is completely unprofessional and petty conduct to put an article against a
> community member on a news site of that community.  It makes me look
> bad for anyone reading the headline, makes the CC look bad for anyone
> reading the contents (as the comments testify) and makes Ubuntu look
> completely non-functional.  We have mailing lists and blogs for
> discussions like that, not news sites.  It does need to be removed.
>
> Jonathan

For those like myself who wanted to review the Fridge post in question,
it can be found here:
<http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/05/29/community-council-statement-jonathan-riddell/>

It's dated 29 May.

Here's just a small sampling of articles, blog posts, etc. on this issue
which predate the Fridge post in question:

<http://jriddell.org/2015/05/26/reaffirmed-on-the-kubuntu-council/>

<https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/information-exchange-between-the-ubuntu-community-council-and-the-kubuntu-council/>

<https://lwn.net/Articles/645973/>

<http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/05/26/jonathan-riddell-gets-full-support-kubuntu-community/>

<http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Community-Council-Asks-the-Kubuntu-Project-Leader-to-Step-Down-482384.shtml>

<http://www.itworld.com/article/2926838/linux/mark-shuttleworth-ubuntu-community-council-ask-kubuntu-developer-to-step-down-as-leader.html>

<https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-UCC-KCC-Controversy>

<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/05/kubuntu-project-lead-asked-to-step-down-by-ubuntu-community-council>

<http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/76447>

<https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/i-think-i-may-be-done/>

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/27/kubuntu_ubuntu_loses_head_shuttleworth_riddell/>

Most of those articles cite only your and Mr. Kitterman's public blogs,
and almost none evidence any effort to research the background on this
issue to find things of the sort summarized in the Fridge post, or
others like this post you made in March:

     If like Martin Owens you're feeling the lack of Ubuntu community
     and wanting an Ubuntu community that cares about everyone's
     contribution, doesn't make random announcements every couple of
     days that have obviously been made behind closed doors and cares
     about a community made upstream desktop (and err.. whole graphics
     stack), you'd be very welcome here at Kubuntu. Join us in
     #kubuntu-devel
<https://blogs.kde.org/2013/03/06/ubuntu-community-community>

I think we all agree that an atmosphere of professionalism and mutual
respect would be desirable.

But in the face of an ongoing discussion made public by only one side,
it seems a reasonable expectation that Mr. Rey would take the time to
balance the discussion by providing a single summary of the Council's
perspective.

If there's any information in the Fridge post you find factually
inaccurate, I trust the Council would work quickly to correct it.

If instead the concern is merely as you wrote, that it was public, it
would appear that more careful consideration of the implications of
public posts would be useful for everyone.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems