Dialogue and moving forward

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Fri Jun 19 18:23:21 UTC 2015

On 19 June 2015 at 10:05, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 09:36:08PM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
>> While I understand the KC's concern around the fridge post, it is
>> unreasonable to ask it to be removed just because the KC doesn't agree
>> with it. The Fridge post was a professionally written, unemotional,
>> summary of the situation. The CC should not be in the business of
>> deleting statements people don't like.
>
> It is completely unprofessional and petty conduct to put an article against a
> community member on a news site of that community.  It makes me look
> bad for anyone reading the headline, makes the CC look bad for anyone
> reading the contents (as the comments testify) and makes Ubuntu look
> completely non-functional.  We have mailing lists and blogs for
> discussions like that, not news sites.  It does need to be removed.

It wasn't petty: it was the outcome of a decision that a governance
body in Ubuntu came to and it was professionally and unemotionally
written. In asking a prominent member of the community to step down
there *has* to be some kind wider communication about it, so the the
Fridge was a suitable place to do this: it is our community news
site...it is designed for governance decisions and announcements.

Let's be honest: no one has handled this situation well. The CC should
have engaged more closely with the KC and provided more context and
reasoning for their decision. Then again, I think your conduct in the
last few years has been anti-social to certain people and groups and
not what a healthy community should tolerate.

My recommendation is we just move forward and find a middle ground.
Let's accept the mistakes of the past and acknowledge them, from all
sides, and then explore what a brighter future looks like.

We need a strong, empowered, and successful CC and we need a strong,
empowered, and successful Jonathan Riddell.

Is everyone willing to move forward?

Thanks,