Dialogue and moving forward

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Fri Jun 19 04:36:08 UTC 2015

On 17 June 2015 at 19:05, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> I think trying to remove either would not be in the best interest
>> of KC or UCC. One piece of advice Jono once gave me was
>> not to delete blog posts but to take responsibility for them.
>
> Deleting a blog post or adding a note to it is one thing. A Fridge
> post is something else. The Fridge is a news site, and it was
> inappropriate and continues to be damaging to have that post "live."
>
> The information is available on the list if people choose to search
> for it. We don't ask for secrecy, but we'd like to stop the flashing
> neon sign.

I just want to weigh in on this as I was referenced.

Ben is right: I believe people should stand by their words, and I am
broadly of the view that people should never delete blog posts or
comments unless there is a legal reason to. This is the nature of
accountability: we have to own our words even if we are later
embarrassed by them.

While I understand the KC's concern around the fridge post, it is
unreasonable to ask it to be removed just because the KC doesn't agree
with it. The Fridge post was a professionally written, unemotional,
summary of the situation. The CC should not be in the business of
deleting statements people don't like.

Likewise, much as I was extremely disappointed to see ScottK leak a
batch of private communications online without permission, I also
don't believe the people featured in that post should ask for it to be
removed.

Both posts are out there. Let's deal with it and move on.

The KC and CC just need to put what has happened behind you and move
on. Get on a hangout and have dialog about leading these two awesome
communities.

    Jono