[Ubuntu-Classroom] Ubuntu Classroom LoCo Day

Nigel Babu nigelbabu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 17:06:44 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM, Nathan Handler <nhandler at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A while ago, I had the idea to organize a one day classroom event
> where we try and get as many LoCo teams as possible to host sessions
> in as many languages as possible. The content of these sessions would
> not be as beneficial to the overall community (due to being in
> different languages), but it would help encourage LoCos to lead
> classroom sessions of their own as well as give users a chance to
> learn and ask questions in their native language. I talked to a few
> people about this idea, and their definitely appears to be some
> interest. There are still a few details that need to get sorted out:

The content should be generic enough that everyone can prepare content
easily.  Perhaps we could even have a common content created so others
can translate and re-use.

>  * When would be the best time to hold the event?
>
> Since the purpose of the event is to encourage LoCo teams to lead more
> classroom sessions, I don't think the point in the release cycle is as
> important as for an event like UDW or UOW. However, we would want to
> make sure that it doesn't fall on any holidays.

This would be more about volunteers being available.  So a time when
we have a gap between major events would be a good idea.

>  * What should the sessions be about?
>
> One suggestion that I received concerning this point was to create a
> base presentation or just a base topic and then have each LoCo present
> it in their own language and answer questions from the audience about
> it. By going with the base presentation approach, everyone in the
> community (regardless of the language they speak) would be able to
> learn from the session. We could also allow LoCos to choose the topic
> of the session and then try and encourage them to translate the
> session to English on the wiki so other teams could learn from it.

+1.  I shoulda known you'd think of this too ;)

>  * How will we handle the actual running of #ubuntu-classroom the day
> of the event?
>
> Hopefully, by the day of the event, ClassBot will be translated into
> all of the languages that will get spoken and tested. It would also be
> possible to add an additional field to the ical that allows us to
> specify the locale that ClassBot should use on a per-session basis.
> That way, we wouldn't need to manually change the locale at the start
> of each session. For the instructor introductions, if we decide to
> have them, we could ask the instructors to introduce themselves. That
> way, they could get done in their native language.

It would be fun to see classbot speak different languages.

> I am sure that there are other details that we will need to sort out,
> but these were just a few that I was able to think of while writing
> this email. Most of these details should not be too hard to sort out,
> and I think that the Classroom Management team could probably handle
> that. The tricky part will be getting LoCo teams involved. This will
> probably take a fair amount of time and require a lot of work
> (contacting people on IRC, sending emails, blogging, answering
> questions, etc). This is why I am CCing the LoCo Council on this
> email. They have been doing a great job of getting LoCo teams involved
> in various community projects over the past few months, and I think
> they would be a great help in doing the same thing for this event.

Overall, its a great way to advertise the medium of IRC as a teaching
method.  Recruiting would need siginificantly more effort than the
usual that we do for UOW or UUD though