[Ubuntu-Classroom] Ubuntu Classroom LoCo Day

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 28 20:05:01 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Nathan Handler <nhandler at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> A while ago, I had the idea to organize a one day classroom event
> where we try and get as many LoCo teams as possible to host sessions
> in as many languages as possible.

Sounds great :)

>  * When would be the best time to hold the event?
>
> Since the purpose of the event is to encourage LoCo teams to lead more
> classroom sessions, I don't think the point in the release cycle is as
> important as for an event like UDW or UOW. However, we would want to
> make sure that it doesn't fall on any holidays.

Yeah I don't think the point in the release cycle is at all important,
just avoid holidays and clashing with other Ubuntu events (which is
tricky right now, release and new cycle immediately coming up, then
winter holidays...).

>  * What should the sessions be about?
>
> One suggestion that I received concerning this point was to create a
> base presentation or just a base topic and then have each LoCo present
> it in their own language and answer questions from the audience about
> it. By going with the base presentation approach, everyone in the
> community (regardless of the language they speak) would be able to
> learn from the session. We could also allow LoCos to choose the topic
> of the session and then try and encourage them to translate the
> session to English on the wiki so other teams could learn from it.

This is where the idea gets unclear to me, I like the idea of a stump
speech in multiple languages, but what is the goal of this aside from
getting LoCos familiar with running sessions and opening ourselves up
to the non-english community? Will this be Ubuntu *user* basics? Or
how to get involved with contributing to Ubuntu? Or strictly about
LoCos themselves?

>  * How will we handle the actual running of #ubuntu-classroom the day
> of the event?
>
> Hopefully, by the day of the event, ClassBot will be translated into
> all of the languages that will get spoken and tested. It would also be
> possible to add an additional field to the ical that allows us to
> specify the locale that ClassBot should use on a per-session basis.
> That way, we wouldn't need to manually change the locale at the start
> of each session. For the instructor introductions, if we decide to
> have them, we could ask the instructors to introduce themselves. That
> way, they could get done in their native language.

Sounds good.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com