[Ubuntu-ch] Kubuntu Swiss-french keys

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:33:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Pablo Vegezzi wrote:
> I work on a desktop with a classic wide keyboard of 104 keys of Swiss-french
> type. The original OS is Windows XP and by disk partition and dual-boot
> system I installed Kubuntu 11.04.
>
> My problem in Kubuntu is to get characters like:
> @ € # [ ] { } < > \ / ...

These you should get by holding down the AltGr key and pressing the
corresponding key.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

> and since I write in French and in Spanish I need characters like :
> ñ Ñ ê ù á í ó Ó ...

These you should get by pressing the ¨ or ` or ' or ~ key (nothing
comes up) then afterwards press the n or a or e key.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_key

> How in Kubuntu?

I haven't tested the above in Kubuntu, but this is at least how it
works in Ubuntu and everywhere else as far as I know. I suppose you
have chosen the Swiss French keyboard layout already? Maybe there is a
setting in the Kubuntu "keyboard layout" preferences to enable "dead
keys" or to define what the AltGr key should do.

Hope this helps,
Tormod